The syllabus will cover:
• Metapsychology of ISTDP
• The diagnostic spectrum and assessment process
• Key therapeutic interventions in AB-ISTDP: Working with unconscious anxiety, maladaptive defence processes & emotional experiencing
• The punitive superego
• The Central Dynamic Sequence
Key concepts and techniques will be taught through a combination of lectures and clinical presentations. Supervision of participants’ own clinical work is a key element of the programme and trainees are required to present video of their work in progress. The small group format is designed to create a safe and stimulating environment.
A comprehensive reading list will be provided.
By the end of this course participants will understand:
• The theoretical framework of ISTDP
• The impact of attachment experiences and attachment trauma on neurological, affective, cognitive, and behavioural development and symptom formation.
• How specific psychotherapy techniques facilitate a secure working alliance and increase patient motivation and engagement
• How to challenge maladaptive defences
• How to assess anxiety pathways and apply targeted anxiety regulation strategies
• How emotional processes are somatic events and how to deepen emotional experiencing in session
On completion of the first year, participants will have the option of going on to complete further modules which will then confer accreditation in ISTDP by the International Experiential Dynamic Therapy Association (www.iedta.net).